Thursday, December 5, 2013

The King is Coming! The King is Coming!

I crashed my first car around this time last year. I had to take the bus (if I was lucky because the bus schedules are crazy in Los Angeles), or walk.

At the time I didn't think of it as an opportunity to reflect on the parts of my life. Looking back it was an opportunity to focus on each step (if I was walking) or bus stop with the the season of Christmas. A time of preparation and a time that the Church has carved out of our year to focus on the events that lead up to the moment that God came into the world and to anticipate His promised return. The weeks before Christmas could be a temptation. It can be seen as the necessary hurdle to jump before Christmas. But if we spend that whole time simply anticipating Christmas, we risk missing the lessons and opportunities the season holds.

Not everyone does Christmas preparation — some folks skip right ahead to Christmas. Others observe it, but see it more as candles they light or lights on their house. It has become checking things off their “to do before Christmas” list.

If I had not crashed my car I would've gotten to the places I needed to go more faster and securer (besides the crash part), but I would have missed a lot along the way. Christmas will arrive whether we really focus on the opportunities the season of preparation offers or not.

Throughout this time, readings will challenge us to “prepare the way of the Lord.”

WELCOME TO THE SEASON OF ADVENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment